How is Supported Living (SLS) funded?

  • The main funding for SLS in California begins in the General Fund and flows to the California Department of Developmental Services (DDS).  DDS then funds Regional Centers who vendor and contract with SLS providers. Individuals receiving SLS services may access government programs such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medi-Cal and other sources to assist with living and medical expenses. SLS regulations require the use of generic resources when available so frequently a portion of support hours needed are provided by In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS).  SLS can be also be funded through private pay with some agencies.

What are Regional Centers?

  • Regional Centers are private, non-profit organizations that contract with the California Department of Developmental Services (DDS) to fund and administer services to people with developmental disabilities. Anyone wishing to receive Supported Living or Independent Living services must be eligible for Regional Center services.  The Regional Center assigns each eligible individual a Service Coordinator, who provides case management and assists the person in finding and arranging services.

What is the difference between ILS and SLS?

  • Independent Living Services (ILS) are typically used by adults who have specific training goals designed to maintain their independence.  Someone receiving ILS may have 32 or fewer hours of support monthly with an expectation that hours fade with goal attainment.  Someone receiving SLS could have as few as say 50 hours of support monthly or may have support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  There is a much greater variation in support with the ability to provide services that maintain a person's ability to live independently.