Employee FAQ

How do I know how much PTO I have?

  • A letter is sent with the second pay check of the month that lists your current PTO accrued.  If you misplace this letter, your CSF has a copy.

I need a letter of reference or recommendation...who do I contact?

  • All letters of reference or recommendation must originate through Human Resources

I need employment verification...who should be contacted?

  • You must sign a release for NorthStar to provide information verifying your employment, income or hours.  Requests of verification should be sent to Human Resources.

I have lost my insurance cards...what do I do?

  • Luckily, you can access your insurance benefits usually with your SSN.  You may also need the NorthStar group number.  HR can request duplicate cards to be sent to you. Send an email to HR requesting assistance.